The administration, faculty, and staff of Brabham Middle School are dedicated and committed to providing students with a safe, caring, and supportive school environment.
Our administration has proudly developed a school wide system to help address the serious issues related to school bullying.
PLEASE VISIT OUR ONLINE REPORTING FORM UNDER OUR LINKS SECTION.
What is bullying?
“A person is bullied when he or she is exposed, repeatedly and over time, to negative actions on the part of one or more other persons, and he or she has difficulty defending himself or herself.”
Three Important Components of Bullying:
1. Bullying is aggressive behavior that involves unwanted, negative actions.
2. Bullying involves a pattern of behavior repeated over time.
3. Bullying involves an imbalance of power and strength.
Types of Bullying:
1. Verbal – Teasing, name-calling, put-downs, or other behavior that would deliberately hurt others’ feelings or make them feel bad.
2. Social exclusion or isolation – Starting rumors, telling others not to be friends with someone, or other actions that would cause someone to be without friends.
3. Physical – hitting, kicking, shoving, and spitting
4. Threatened or being forced to do things by another student
5. Racial comments
6. Sexual Harassment
7. Cyber bullying – Verbal bullying through cell phones or Internet
(Information obtained from: http://olweus.org/public/bullying.page)
Stop, Think, and Take a Stand
STOP – Are you the target or the bystander?
1. Target – Identify behavior and/or language that is making you uncomfortable. Is the behavior aggressive, repeated, and is there an imbalance in power? Am I being bullied?
2. Bystander – Observe and identify bullying behavior (verbal, physical, emotional)
THINK – What can I do to empower myself?
1. Target – What strategies can I try? What options do I have? Is there an adult I can talk with?
2. Bystander – What can I do to help? How can I make a difference? What are my options? Brainstorm ideas with friends. What strategies can I offer the target?
TAKE A STAND – Putting your plan in place.
1. Target - Try my strategies. Tell an adult. Make an online report.
2. Bystander – Reach out to target. Tell the bully to stop. Encourage the target to take action. Report to an adult. Make an online report.